WRA was selected in 2012 by Benderson Development and Taubman Centers to be the civil engineering firm responsible for the design and permitting of the Mall at University Town Center (Mall). The Mall is located at the southwest intersection of I-75 and University Parkway in Sarasota County, FL and consists of over 1.0 million square feet of gross floor area on 75 acres. It is one of just two enclosed regional malls expected to be built in the U.S. in the next several years and alone equals the total amount of new construction in Sarasota County during 2009 and 2010. The expected project budget is around $315 million with the three main anchors being Macy’s, Dillard’s, and Sak’s Fifth Avenue.
WRA developed site specific construction plans for the entire shopping center which consisted of over 4,000 parking spaces. Minimum civil design specifications for all anchor stores and perspective tenants had to be carefully reviewed and followed during the design process. WRA managed the production, coordination, and design of the following tasks:
- Construction Phasing Study and Plan
- Surcharge Plan and Quantity Verification
- Stormwater Modeling, Grading, and Erosion Control Plans
- Regulatory Roadway Signage and Pavement Design
- Utility Design and Coordination for over 56 manholes, 10,000 LF of sanitary gravity piping, and 13,500 LF of watermain.
- Permitting with SWFWMD, Sarasota County, FDEP, FPL, and Health Department
- Construction Documents and Bid Preparation
- Full Project Specifications for the Site Work
- Meeting and Owner Coordination with Proposed and Perspective Tenants
The project broke ground in October 2012 with completion proposed in October 2014. WRA has also been retained for Construction Management services that consist of project oversight during the entire construction process. All construction RFIs, shop drawings, and technical review will be the responsibility of WRA to ensure the project is built in accordance with the plans and specifications.
Role in Project: Prime